Tsar-pushka – world’s biggest cannon, is an enormous cannon that was created to defend Kremlin and then was located on Krasnaya Ploshad (Red Square). The cannon’s name means a King of Cannons due to its tremendous size. These days Tsar-pushka can be found in the middle of Ivan the Great Belltower and the Church of the Twelve Apostles on the Ivanovskaya square, not far from Kremlin Armory and the Kremlin Senate.
In 1586 Tsar Fedor Ivanovich asked the best bronze caster Andrey Chokhov to construct Tsar-pushka. The weight of the cannon is about 40 tonns and the length is around 6 meters. Various ornaments, letterings and even a stature of Tsar Fedor on the horse with symbols of royal power garnish the bronze barrel of the cannon with a 120 cm diameter.
Today Tsar-pushka stands on the decorative cast iron gun carriage. Around the cannon lie fancy projectiles with a weight of 1 tonn each, made in 1834 in St. Petersburg.
Tsar-pushka is indeed a paragon of Russian gunsmithing.