Enjoy a pleasant one-day trip from Moscow to a 700 year old St Sergius Trinity Lavra, the most important center of pilgrimage in Russia and the biggest and one of the most beautiful monasteries. Visit Sergiev’s Toy Museum, seeing its ‘matryoshka’ (Russian nesting dolls) and sip some kvass, a local rye-brew soft beverage. The ride to the town of Sergiev-Posad takes you through a lovely stretch of Russian countryside, dotted with colorful wooden cottages.
The town’s chief attraction is the Troitse-Sergieva Lavra, or St Sergius Trinity Monastery, a fairy-tale of gold and azure onion domes of its Cathedrals. It is a functioning Christian orthodox monastery founded in the 14th century. The founder, St Sergius, inspired the liberation campaigns of the Russian dukes against Mongolian invaders who devastated Russia for over 2 centuries. He was a wise man, who safeguarded the Russian culture and authenticity during this time. The Russian orthodox church proclaimed him a saint; his incorruptible relics are kept in the Trinity Cathedral on the monastery grounds.
The almost seven century old monastery today has over 200 monks living there. It is the main spiritual center of the Russian Orthodox Church and Christian education. The monastery grounds include almost 50 structures dating to 15th-20th centuries. Among them the most famous are: the 15th century Trinity Cathedral, the oldest on the grounds, the 16th century Dormition Cathedral, the most impressive structure on the grounds, the 18th century baroque Bell tower.
View Moscow through the eyes of locals with your private guide and check out the places loved by Moscovites.
- Private full-day tour of Moscow with our experienced guide.
- Drive through the countryside and listen to the stories of the past and present-day Russia
- Explore the Monastery grounds, including Cathedrals and the museum
- Learn about tradition of wooden toys in the Toy museum
- Enjoy local food and drinks
8:30 am – Hotel pick-up
10.30 am – visit to the Monastery grounds, including the Cathedrals and the museum
12.30 am – lunch (own expense)
1.30 pm – visit Sergeiev Posad Toy museum
2.30 pm – departure for Moscow
4.30 pm – Drop-off at your hotel or destination of your choice
What makes it different:
- You can adjust the itinerary according to your wish: we offer ideas & you choose what you want. We will meet you at your hotel with your personalized itinerary.
- Your tour will be a lot of fun, not a history lesson.
- You may ask your guide any question which interests you about people, ways and traditions.
- We can invite you to a Moscow family home. Check out “Eat with locals” page on our website.