Discover the remnants of the communist capital of the huge Soviet empire. Our 3-hour walking tour leads along the streets and squares of the city which preserve the signs and footprints of the communist past. The guide tells you the story how the communist empire evolved from the October 1917 revolt, formation of the Soviet Union under Lenin, went through the big Terror under Stalin, the GULAG system, Khrushev’s “thaw”, Brezhnev’s stagnation, and finally collapsed after Gorbachev’s “perestroika” in 1991.
You will see the infamous headquarters of the KGB also known as Lubyanka, the Solovets bolder – the memorial to all victims of the GULAG, Revolution square and the last Karl Marx monument in Moscow, the Bolshoi theatre where the USSR was proclaimed and Red Square with Lenin Mausoleum and the necropolis of the Soviet leaders behind it. In Tverskaya, the guide will tell you about the ambitious plan of the reconstruction of Moscow, and you will see the buildings which were moved on the rails to 50 meters to widen and straiten the main thoroughfare of the city. You will open the doors of Eliseev Grocery store which In Soviet times was renamed to Gastronom №1 and sold delicatessen products — a rare exception in the time of constant shortages.
Our suggestion for after the tour to visit the Cold war bunker or the Museum of the modern history.
- Private 3-hour walking tour with our experienced guide.
- Lubyanka square with its notorious KGB building, Solovets bolder – GOLAG memorial
- Revolution and Theatre Square, the Bolshoi theatre (outside)
- Red Square
- Tverskaya street
- Pushkin Square
10.00 am – Hotel pick-up
10.30 am – sightseeing by walking, tour ends in Pushkin Sqaure
1.30 pm – return to hotel (or leave downtown)
What makes it different:
- You can adjust the itinerary according to your wish: we offer ideas & you choose what you want.
- We will meet you at your hotel with your personalized itinerary.
- Your tour will be a lot of fun, not a history lesson.
- You may ask your guide any question which interests you about people, ways and traditions.