Nevsky Prospect is the biggest and the most visited street of St. Petersburg. Beautiful sophisticated buildings date back to the 18 – early 20th centuries. The Prospect is a link between the Admiralty and the Alexander Nevsky Square that begins from the bank of the Neva River then goes to the city center and stops near the Neva River. The street personifies the history of the entire city.
Prospect has a distance of 4,5 km and the breadth of 25-60 m. The part between Admirality and the Moika River is the narrowest, and shows the initial width of the street. Moika, Fontanka and Griboyedov Canal – are three rivers that intersect the avenue. First, in 1704 and then in 1710 the Admirality and the Alexander Nevsky Monastery were created, so it was necessary to create a path that would connect this two buildings together and with the Novgorod Path, situated close to Ligovsky Prospect, Russian merchants used it in the 15th century. The building was started simultaneously on both sides; the path was going through the midwood. In 1760’s the road was finally finished, but not as straight as it was intended, it has a small curve in the region of the Vosstaniya Square. The avenue received its name in 1783. Starting from the middle of the 18th century, the Nevsky Prospect was then little by little filled with stone constructions; cobblestones were set up alongside the avenue and the lines of trees finished the landscape. The gas lightning first appeared right at the Nevsky Prospect. In the early 20th century, the street earned the reputation of economical center of St. Petersburg due to the great amount of Russian, Europe and American bank offices that were located in buildings, created specially for them. These days Nevsky Prospect has become the cultural heart of St. Petersburg. Alongside the avenue, various stores, bars, coffee shops, galleries and museums can be found.