Moscow city is inextricably linked with the life and works of Leo Tolstoy, by far the most world known Russian writer and philosopher of the 19th century. Tolstoy and his family spent 20 winters here from 1882 to 1901, while escaping to the beloved Yasnaya Polyana country house in summers. The characters of his oeuvres ‘War and Peace’ and ‘Anna Karenina’ were Muscovites.
Don’t miss a rare chance to see how the literary lion lived and worked.
We start at the Estate museum of Tolstoy in Khamovniki, a winter residence in peaceful and almost rural oasis in the boosting Moscow. Leo Tolstoy moved in here in 1882 when his children needed better schooling. There are more than five thousand of real relics in the sixteen rooms of the Leo Tolstoy House.
Then we will walk to Leo Tolstoy monument in Maiden’s Field and along Prechistenka street, an aristocratic district of Moscow, which was burnt to ashes in a devastating fire in 1812 which made Napoleon retreat from Moscow thus losing the war against Russia. We will also see the private boarding school Tolstoy’s children attended, the house of Anna Karenina, the main character of the drama ‘Anna Karenina’, the mansion of the 1812 war hero Denis Davidoff, a character of ‘War and Peace’; pass by the literature museum of Leo Tolstoy in a unique wooden mansion of early 19th century which holds all his published books. We will carry on to Christ the Savior Cathedral, the biggest Orthodox Christian church in Russia, a benedictory cathedral built by emperor Alexander I to mark his victory over Napoleon. The tour will terminate on the Patriarch bridge with the magnificent view of the Kremlin and the story of 1812 war, described by Tolstoy in ‘War and Peace’.
- Private 4-hours tour with our experienced guide.
- Visit Leo Tolstoy estate museum (advanced booking)
- Learn the story of Anna Karenina and witness the scenes described in ‘War and Peace’
- Visit the biggest Orthodox Cathedral in Russia
10 am – Hotel pick-up
10.30 am – get to Leo Tolstoy estate museum by metro
12.00 am – walk along Prechistenka street
12.40 am – visit Christ the Savior Cathedral
1.30 pm – Enjoy the Kremlin view from Patriarch’s bridge
2.00 pm – Drop-off at your hotel or destination of your choice
What makes it different:
- You can adjust the itinerary according to your wish: we offer ideas & you choose what you want. We will meet you at your hotel with your personalized itinerary.
- Your tour will be a lot of fun, not a history lesson.
- You may ask your guide any question which interests you about people, ways and traditions.
- We can invite you to a Moscow family home. Check out “Eat with locals” page on our website.