Gain an in-depth and personal understanding of the Russian literary genius. Leo Tolstoy, a remarkable Russian novelist spent 50 years of his life in Yasnaya Polyana, a huge family estate 100 miles south of Moscow. It was his home on and off for his whole life. There he was born, wrote his most significant works, undertook social experiments, and was buried in 1910. He got married in his early thirties, his wife Sophia was only 18.
They had 13 children, 9 of whom survived infancy. What he did there was to write several hugely successful books among them “War and Peace”, “Anna Karenina” and “The death of Ivan Ilyich”. He was nominated for the Nobel prize but refused to accept it.
Many visitors are surprised by how modest Tolstoy’s house is. The famous writer did not like luxury.
Here he freed his serfs and taught peasant children at a school that he opened. Disappointed with his way of life and nobleman status, he decided at the age of 82 to depart from home forever.
The Yasnaya Polyana Museum is run by Tolstoy’s descendants
The house, furniture, personal belongings of the great writer and his family, everything is kept intact as if they just left the rooms a minute ago.
A path from the main house into the forest leads to Tolstoy’s simple, unadorned grave.
- Private 8-hour tour to Yasnaya Polyana in a comfortable minivan/ car with our experienced guide.
- Discover Leo Tolstoy home and learn the story of his life
- Visit the main house.
- Visit the burial place.
- Visit the small railway station where Leo Tolstoy started his last trip
- Local lunch/ snack (optional)
8.00 am – Hotel pick-up
10.00 am – visit to Yasnaya Polyana estate
1.00 pm – lunch beak
1.30 pm – visit memorial railway station Kozlova Zaseka
4:00 pm – return to Moscow
What makes it different:
- You can adjust the itinerary according to your wish: we offer ideas & you choose what you want.
- We will meet you at your hotel with your personalized itinerary.
- Your tour will be a lot of fun, not a history lesson.
- You may ask your guide any question which interests you about people, ways and traditions.